World Sparrow Day is celebrated every year on March 2. There were times when the Sparrow is one of the most common birds which could be seen to humans. But now things have been changing. It is becoming extinct. This is the reason that World Sparrow Day is observed every year, to spread awareness among people. The aim for this day is to protect the common house sparrow. The main reason behind these birds on the verge of extinction is the increasing noise, air, water pollution. Due to increased towers in the regions, the birds are getting harmed. So the Nature Forever Society of India has taken initiative to preserve these Sparrows. The society did this in collaboration with the Eco-Sys Action Foundation of France. This society was started by a dedicated conservationist Mohammed Dilawar. He was named by the Times as one of the Heroes of the Environment in 2008.
Interesting facts about Sparrow
- These are commonly called house sparrows
- They are found in brown color with black streaks on their back but the male ones have reddish backs and black bib.
- These Sparrows has the ability to fly at the speed of 38.5 km/h
- They can even reach the speed of 50 km/h
- They raise three nests of 3-5 eggs. Both males and females help in the incubation of the eggs for 12-15 days.
- As these sparrows cannot be seen in the forests and deserts
- The life span of this bird is 4 and 5 years in the wild. The oldest has lived for 15 years and 9 months till now.
How you can protect Sparrow?
By following these few simple steps at your home you can contribute towards the preservation of these beautiful birds.
- Just keep a water bowl on the roof of your house.
- Try to avoid the use of excessive pesticides and insecticides in farms and gardens
- Use good quality fuel.
- Try to minimize water, air, and sound pollution
- You can also keep bird food at your home.
Need to save these Sparrows
These Sparrows are one of the birds which brings joy. And they are part of our environment so it is our responsibility to prevent them from getting extinct. These are the most friendly birds which love to live in harmony with humans. This is the reason they are found at places where human lives. So it is our responsibility to save these Sparrows.
See More: BJP names 157 picks for Bengal Elections